Obesity Statistics

headerimages-faq

Did you know that in Alabama:

-The age adjusted death rate rankings for obesity related diseases are amonth the highest in the nation:

  • 5th for Heart Disease
  • 7th for Stroke
  • 10th for diabetes

-Obesity is associated with about 112,000 deaths each year in the United States.  It is a major risk factor for other medical conditions such as:

  • Cancer
  • Joint Pain
  • Hypertension
  • Heart Disease
  •  Sleep Apnea
  • Type 2 Diabetes,

-Heart disease is the leading cause of death in Alabama, accounting for 13,207 deaths or approximately 29% of the state’s deaths in 2001.

-The state spent an estimated $293 per person in 2003 on medical-costs related to obesity.

-Alabama has the 6th highest percent of adults who are diabetic, 8.7%.

More Alabama Statistics

Over the past several decades, the proportion of Alabama citizens who are overweight or obese has increased dramatically. In fact, now it is referred to as an “obesity epidemic” in the nation. Data from the 2005 Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System shows that 23 percent of U.S. adults age 21 and older are obese. The numbers are worse in Alabama: 29 percent of adults are obese. An additional 36 percent are overweight. Combined, 65 percent of adults in Alabama are overweight or obese.

The numbers of overweight youth in Alabama are rising fast as well. Data from the 2005 Youth Risk Behavior Survey shows that among high school students, 15 percent are overweight and 18 percent are at risk for overweight.

Did you that in Georgia: 

-The prevalence of overweight and obesity increased 60% between 1984 and 2002.

-59% of adult Georgians are overweight or obese.

-Adult males are more likely to be overweight or obese than females.

-The average hospital length of stay for overweight or obese Georgians is 85% longer than normal-weight individuals.

More Georgia Statistics

According to the Department of Human Resources, 9,780 Georgians die each year because they are overweight or obese. Overweight and obesity in Georgia are associated with a number of conditions including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, and osteoarthritis as well as depression, menstrual irregularities, and sleep apnea. The estimated medical cost of obesity in Georgia is $2.1 billion a year, or $250 per Georgian per year.

Less than half (48%) of overweight or obese Alabama and Georgia residents who are trying to loose weight use recommended methods of healthy eating and increasing physical activity.